CLOSING DATE EXTENDED TO 11th NOVEMBER 2022
The entry fee is based on €15.00 (Fifteen Euros) per entry/packaging project submitted. The amount is to be paid in South Africa Rands (ZAR), with the exchange rate calculated automatically based on the prevailing exchange rates to the best ability of the administrators. The final amount processed may vary according to bank charges and exchange rates.
• The entry fee must be made by 1st November 2022 to validate the entry, following the payment procedures on line via credit card. Payment is made in South African Rands on line to Syndicate Graphics, the administrators of the WPO WorldStar Student Awards.
• Entrants may send more than one entry. Fees will be charged per entry.
The WorldStar Student Awards brand is owned by the World Packaging Organisation (WPO). The program is managed by the Institute of Packaging South Africa (IPSA) on behalf of the WPO and is administered by Syndicate Graphics (the administrators).
Who May Enter?
• This competition is open to students enrolled in a collegiate-level design program or packaging engineering program,undergraduate or graduate, anywhere in the world who have already won an award at a national/multi-national competition for students organised or recognised by that country's or region’s WPO member National Packaging Body. Students from countries without a National Packaging Body can enter through a national student competition, which is recognized by the WPO or another WPO member organization.
• Applicants who have graduated in 2022 or those fulfilling the conditions of the qualifying national student competition will also be accepted as students.
• All projects entered must have been designed / completed after August 2021 up to this year’s closing date
What is required for Entry?
• To participate in the competition the packaging project should offer a new solution, irrespective of product, that is innovative, aesthetically appealing, environmentally compliant, easy to manufacture, convenient and relevant, and/or that brings efficiency to the packaging system.
• Each entry requires at least 2 visuals of the entry supplied in JPG or PNG format to be uploaded. No prototypes or mock ups are to be sent to organisers or administrators.
• Each entry requires a Summary of the Entry's features to be supplied which is no longer than 50 words.
• Optional additional information of no more than 300 words may be supplied to further support the entry. Note that the judges will focus on the “Summary of the Entry's Features” and only refer to the additional optional information if they feel further clarification is required.
• Entrants need supply name of the university or college in which they are enrolled and the name and email address of their lecturer or academic adviser/supervisor.
• The qualifying national competition in which the entry has already won an award must be named and proof of the award must be submitted, such as a copy the certificate awarded or a confirmation letter from the WPO member National Packaging Body.
• All entry forms and documentation should be submitted in English.
• CLOSING DATE EXTENDED TO 11th NOVEMBER 2022
Cost of Entry
• The entry fee is based on €15.00 (Fifteen Euros) per entry / packaging project submitted. The amount is to be paid in South Africa Rands (ZAR), with the exchange rate calculated automatically based on the prevailing exchange rates to the best ability of the administrators. The final amount processed may vary according to bank charges and exchange rates.
• The entry fee must be made by 11th November 2022 to validate the entry, following the payment procedures on-line via credit card. Payment is made in South African Rands on line to Syndicate Graphics, the administrators of the WPO WorldStar Student Awards.
• Entrants may send more than one entry. Fees will be charged per entry.
Awards, Judging Criteria & Results Announcement
• WorldStar Student Awards are awarded as follows: The top three (3) highest scoring entries will be named as WorldStar Student Winners and will receive a WorldStar Student Gold, Silver or Bronze Medal and certificates according to the rank of the scores achieved overall. The next ten (10) highest scores will receive WorldStar Student Certificates of Merit . The balance of entries, which achieve the a minimum qualifying score or better, will receive WorldStar Student Certificates of Recognition.
• The WorldStar Student Award Judging is based on:
Degree of Innovation (including conceptual and technical aspect)
Sales appeal/graphics in the target country
Sustainability aspects relative to the target country
Ease of processing/manufacturing
The extent to which a pack is fit for purpose and complies with the functions of packaging
Efficiency to the packaging system
• Special category Gold, Silver and Bronze medals and certificates may be awarded to entries scoring the highest on specific judging criteria related to the special medals such as Marketing Appeal, Sustainability and Save Food. (See the details under the ‘Categories’ tab).
• The winners will be notified by email addressed to the entrant's email address by the end of January 2023. The full results will also be published on this website
• Only the medal winners will be invited to attend the main WPO WorldStar ceremony. All costs related to the winner’s attendance to this awards award ceremony will be exclusively of responsibility of the winners themselves, including airfares, visas (when required) and accommodation.
• The date and venue of the Award Ceremony will be determined by the WPO and announced when the results of these awards are announced.
• The entrant, identified by his name and e-mail address, is legally responsible for the veracity of the information and for the legal rights to submit the project to the WorldStar Student Awards.
• Entrants automatically grant the organisers and the WPO the right to reproduce their work in their printed and virtual-electronic publications, as well as their websites and all other media, for the promotion of this competition and the organisers, with no space or time limit.
• The administrators, IPSA and the WPO will assume all entries are original and are the work and/or property of the entrant/s with all rights granted therein. The administrators, IPSA and the WPO are not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of any entrant. Then on-line entry form must be completed in full and incomplete entries and those without the "Declaration" requirement selected as "Agreed" will not be judged.
• By submitting any entry to the WorldStar Student Award, the Entrant automatically agrees to these eligibility and competition rules.
Please ensure you have read and understood the RULES of this competition. They contain useful information that may assist you in completing the entry requirements and to ensure that your entry is successful.
All the required fields of the entry form must be completed before the facility for online payments becomes available. The incomplete fields will be shown in RED when you try to submit an incomplete entry.
Once the entry is complete, the payment should be made. The entry fee is €15.00 (Fifteen Euros) per entry. This can be done on-line by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) using the PayFast portal on this website. The payment will be made in South African Rands to Syndicate Graphics, who are the administrators of the WPO WorldStar Student Awards for the Institute of Packaging South Africa.